To Find Out More: Click links below to Scroll Down
- What's it all about?
- WHEN is it?
- Where should we CleanUP?
- HOW DO WE SIGN UP?
- WHAT YOU NEED for your CleanUP:
- What should we do with the trash after the CleanUP?
- To get your coupons for a free Sundae
- How will this protect our waterways?
- Thank you to all of our 2013 Earth Day CleanUP Participants! Listing and Results
Volunteer to organize a rewarding project that will serve your community and the environment! It just takes a few hours of your time to help clean up a location of your choice, in your neighborhood. Additional information for planning and carrying out your CleanUP is provided in the program brochure.
- Groups may choose a date for their CleanUP anytime before April 22.
- Register and pick up free CleanUP bags for your clean-up at Rochester area Friendly's Restaurants from March 24 - April 21.
There is (unfortunately) not usually a shortage of areas nearby that need your help. Scout around for a location that you'd like to see improved. These areas may be stream banks, a lakeside beach, an abandoned lot with overgrown weeds, a littered park or recreational area, or a trashed roadway. When selecting a site, keep in mind accessibility, rest rooms, and the presence of poison ivy.
- If on private land, you will need to get the owner's permission.
- If on public land, make your intensions known to the town or state agency responsible for the property.
- You can register at Rochester area Friendly's® Restaurants between March 24 and April 21. You can also print out the form, to fill out and bring to your nearest Rochester area Friendly's® during that time frame.
- If you don't need CleanUP bags, you can register online here.
- When you give the completed form to the Friendly's® at the front counter, you will receive free garbage bags for your CleanUP.
- Need help finding a Friendly's®? Click on the locations below for maps.
|2717 Monroe Avenue||6555 Fourth Section Road|
|2 Spencerport Road|
|3935 Dewey Avenue|
|3081 W. Ridge Road|
|2425 W. Henrietta Road|
|Greece Ridge Mall||1206 Ridge Road|
|Eastview Mall||287 Hamilton St|
- CleanUP report form (see link below)
- First aid kit
- Orange cones at any trash collection site along a road.
- Life jackets for very young volunteers if you're working near water.
- Camera and film
- Work gloves
- Trash bags (available from Rochester area Friendlys® locations when you sign up there.)
- Rakes, shovels and/or pitchforks
- If you are near water, waders, high rubber boots, old shoes or sneakers
- Insect/tick repellent
Dumpsters will be available at Rochester area Friendly's® parking lots, thanks to our Friendly's® supporters. Often you can enlist the town's support for trash pickup.
We encourage you to recycle items that can be recycled. For a list of recyclable materials, see http://www.monroecounty.gov/des-residentialrecycling.php
Mail in the completed report form to:
410 White Spruce Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14623
Be sure to indicate where you'd like us to mail your coupons.
If you need more information, contact Delta Labs at: email@example.com or call 585-234-1726.
Cleaning human debris from the environment does more than simply make it look better.
- It helps protect aquatic life that may view waste as food or a place to live,
- It helps curbs pollution, and the spread of disease.
- People treat trash-free areas with greater respect and care.
Waste enters a stream in a number of ways. Storm drains collect storm water from our neighborhoods, parking lots and other public areas, and this water is not treated before it reaches our local waterways. This means that garbage that ends up in a storm drain is washed directly to our streams and rivers. Litter from recreational use and sometimes intentional dumping also pollutes our water resources.
Our waterways provide us with fresh drinking water, great recreational opportunities, and a welcome respite for our busy lives. Let's do our part to preserve and protect them.